Dey Samuel Kim
Transdisciplinary Artist / Dec 2017 – present
Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology, KR
Main task: Music-Science transdisciplinary research (Science Walden, CRC Project funded by National Research Foundation of Korea)
Director / Nov 2017 – present
Modular Seoul, KR
Main task: Curating concert series and organising workshops
Research Fellow / Nov 2017 – Oct 2018
Jeju National University, KR
Main task: Identification of microbial interaction on sound (X-Project funded by National Research Foundation of Korea)
Senior Researcher / Oct 2012 – Mar 2015
Korea Institute of Energy Research, KR
Main task: Production of microalgal biofuels/biochemicals
Sep 2006 – Aug 2011
Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Science and Engineering
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, KR
Dissertation: Bioelectricity Generation from Carbon Monoxide by Acetogenesis and Microbial Fuel Cell Technology
Mar 2005 – Aug 2006
Master of Science in Environmental Science and Engineering
Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, KR
Dissertation: Biomimetic Synthesis and Control of Silver Nanoparticles
Mar 2001 – Feb 2005
Bachelor of Science in Environmental Engineering
Yonsei Universty, KR
Sep 2015 – Aug 2017
Institute of Sonology, Royal Conservatoire The Hague, NL
Sep 2011 – May 2012
JASS Applied Music Institute, KR
HONOUR and AWARD
2007 / Dasan Awards for outstanding students, Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology, KR
2005 – 2010 / Government full scholarship (tuition, stipend), Ministry of Science and Technology, KR
2003 – 2004 / Honour scholarship, Yonsei University, KR
Music / Sound
Composition, Free improvisation, Electroacoustics, Musique concrète, Sound installation
Transdisciplinary art & science
Human-microbe translator, Data sonification, Biomusic
Sound-microbe interaction, Physical cell-cell communication, Sonocytology, Bioacoustics
Open source technology
DIY biology, Appropriate technology
Composition, Digital/analog sound synthesis and analysis, Piano, Guitar, Modular synthesiser
Computer Language & Software
Max/MSP/Jitter, SuperCollider, Processing, Arduino, Praat, Audacity, DAWs (Logic Pro, Reaper, Reason, Nuendo), MuseScore
Microbial physiology, Bioprocess engineering, Molecular biology
Korean (native), English (fluent)
Dotolim Concert Series 121, Dotolim, Seoul, KR, 2018
Noise for Voice and Electronics, Modular Night, Ringo Shop, Seoul, KR, 2018
Collective Improvisation, Electronic Device, Seogyo Art Center, Seoul, KR, 2018
Noise for Voice and Electronics, ATM Festival, Culture Tank, Seoul, KR, 2018
Free Improvisation, Seogwipo Cultural Battery Station, Seogwipo, KR, 2018
Voice + Electronics Solo Performance, Watmm 54, Mudaeruk, Seoul, KR, 2018
Improvised Audio/Video, Modular Seoul 001, VOFOL, Seoul, KR, 2018
Talk and Play, the Improvisation, YOGIGA pal.gallery, Seoul, KR, 2018
Jeju April 3rd, Seogwipo Cultural Battery Station, Seogwipo, KR, 2018
Free Improvisation, Dotolim Concert Series 111, Dotolim, Seoul, KR, 2018
The Drum Madness, Noodlebar, Wunderbar, Rotterdam, NL, 2018
Free Improvised Audiovisual, Future City Night Vol. 1, SCALe, Seoul, KR, 2017
Free Improvisation, Regulations012, Alley Sound, Seoul, KR, 2017
Conversation, CASS, KABK, The Hague, NL, 2016
Free Improvisation, Royal Conservatoire, The Hague, NL, 2016
[Fixed media] Flushing Away Is Not The End, UNIST, Ulsan, KR, 2018
[Sound installation] The Noise Box, Yogiga Gallery, Seoul, KR, 2017
[Installation] Sarang-Dang, Arko Art Center, Seoul, KR, 2013
[EP] CROSSTALK, Cucumber9 Records, 2018
[Single] Flying Insects, Self-released, 2016
[EP] Sea Breeze from Jeju, Feelosophy Entertainment, 2014
[Compilation] The Hour, Feelosophy Entertainment, 2014
[Compilation] Flow, Feelosophy Entertainment, 2012
[Compilation] Feelosophy, Feelosophy Entertainment, 2011
[Regular] Came Alone, DigitalRecord Inc., 2010
[EP] Calmness, Self-released, 2009
15. Chun, Y., D. Choi, D. Kim, R.W. Lovitt and I.S. Chang* (2016) Adhesion potential of bacteria retrieved from intake seawater and membrane biofilms on full-scale reverse osmosis desalination process. Desalination and Water Treatment, DOI:10.1080/19443994.2016.1189706. ⊕
14. Nam, J.-Y.*, E. Jwa, D. Kim, S.-C. Park and N. Jeong (2015) Selective removal of multivalent ions from seawater by bioelectrochemical system. Desalination, 359:37-40. ⊕
13. Park, S., M. Yasin, D. Kim, H.-D. Park, C.M. Kang, D.J. Kim and I.S. Chang* (2013) Rapid enrichment of (homo)acetogenic consortia from animal feces using a high mass-transfer gas-lift reactor fed with syngas. Journal of Industrial Microbiology & Biotechnology, 40(9):995-1003. ⊕
12. Kim, Y., D. Kim, T.Y. Kim, G.S. Kim, M.-K. Shin, Y.J. Kim, J.-J. Yoon and I.S. Chang* (2013) Use of red algae, Ceylon moss (Gelidium amansii), hydrolyzate for clostridial fermentation. Biomass & Bioenergy, 56:38-42. ⊕
11. Kim, B., J. An, D. Kim, T. Kim, B.-G. Kim and I.S. Chang* (2013) Voltage increase of microbial fuel cells with multiple membrane electrode assemblies by in series connection. Electrochemistry Communications, 28:131-134. ⊕
10. Jeon, N., D. Kim, J. An, T. Kim, G.H. Gim, C.M. Kang, D.J. Kim, S.W. Kim and I.S. Chang* (2012) Dunaliella salina as a microbial biomass for biogas production. Microbiology and Biotechnology Letters, 40(3):282-285. ⊕
9. Chun, Y., P.T. Ha, L. Powell, J. Lee, D. Kim, D. Choi, R.W. Lovitt, I.S. Kim, S.S. Mitra and I.S. Chang* (2012) Exploring microbial communities and differences of cartridge filters (CFs) and reverse osmosis (RO) membranes for seawater desalination processes. Desalination, 298:85-92. ⊕
8. Kim, D., J. An, B. Kim, J.K. Jang, B.H. Kim and I.S. Chang* (2012) Scaling-up microbial fuel cells: configuration and potential drop phenomenon at series connection of unit cells in shared anolyte. ChemSusChem, 5(6):1086-1091. (Cover page highlighted) ⊕
7. Ji, E., H. Moon, J. Piao, P.T. Ha, J. An, D. Kim, J.-J. Woo, Y. Lee, S.-H. Moon, B.E. Rittmann and I.S. Chang* (2011) Interface resistances of anion exchange membranes in microbial fuel cells with low ionic strength. Biosensors & Bioelectronics, 26:3266-3271. ⊕
6. Roh, H., H.-J. Ko, D. Kim, D.G. Choi, S. Park, S. Kim, K.H. Kim, I.S. Chang and I.-G. Choi* (2011) Complete genome sequence of a carbon monoxide-utilizing acetogen, Eubacterium limosum KIST612. Journal of Bacteriology, 193(1):307-308. ⊕
5. Kim, J., Y. Rheem, B. Yoo, Y. Chong, K.N. Bozhilov, D. Kim, M.J. Sadowsky, H.-G. Hur* and N.V. Myung* (2010) Peptide-mediated shape- and size-tunable synthesis of gold nanostructures. Acta Biomaterialia, 6(7):2681-2689. ⊕
4. Kim, D. and I.S. Chang* (2009) Electricity generation from synthesis gas by microbial processes: CO fermentation and microbial fuel cell technology. Bioresource Technology, 100:4527-4530. ⊕
3. An, J., D. Kim, Y. Chun, S.-J. Lee, H.Y. Ng and I.S. Chang* (2009) Floating-type microbial fuel cell (FT-MFC) for treating organic-contaminated water. Environmental Science & Technology, 43(5):1642-1647. ⊕
2. Lee, E., D. Kim, Y. Woo, H.-G. Hur and Y. Lim* (2008) Solution structure of peptide AG4 used to form silver nanoparticles. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 276:595-598. ⊕
1. Chang, I.S.*, D. Kim, B.H. Kim and R.W. Lovitt (2007) Use of an industrial grade medium and medium enhancing effects on high cell density CO fermentation by Eubacterium limosum KIST612. Biotechnology Letters, 29:1183-1187. ⊕
14. Kim, D., C.-S. Kim, J.-Y. Nam, S.-C. Park, S.C. Yang, H.K. Yang, N. Jeong, E. Jwa and J. Choi “Photo membrane bioreactor and pretreatment method of seawater and cultivation method for microalgae” Korean Patent 10-1655408, September 1, 2016.
13. Yang, H.-K., C.H. Park, H. Kim, D.-K. Kim, N. Jeong, S.J. Kwak, S.-C. Yang, K.-S. Hwang, C.-S. Kim, J. Choi, J.-Y. Nam and D. Kim “A salinity gradient power generation system using PRO pressure” Korean Patent 10-1587592, January 15, 2016.
12. Nam, J.-Y., S.-C. Park, D.-K. Kim, J.-S. Park, N. Jeong, D. Kim, K.-S. Hwang, C.H. Park and P. Shin “Microbial fuel cell for removing multivalent ion” Korean Patent 10-1576213, December 3, 2015.
11. Yang, H.-K., C.H. Park, D.-K. Kim, N. Jeong, H. Kim, S.J. Kwak, S.C. Yang, P.H. Shin, C.-S. Kim, E. Jwa and D. Kim “A salinity gradient power generation system using a capmix device” Korean Patent 10-1526214, June 1, 2015.
10. Yang, H.-K., H. Kim, T.-H. Kim, C.H. Park, D.-K. Kim, N. Jeong, S.J. Kwak, S.C. Yang, C.-S. Kim, E. Jwa and D. Kim “A hybrid power generation system using energy of salinity difference between salt water and sea water” Korea Patent 10-1519828, May 7, 2015.
9. Park, S.-C., D. Kim, C.H. Park and J.-Y. Nam “Floating-type photobioreactor” Korean Patent 10-1452254, October 13, 2014.
8. Park, C.H., C.-S. Kim, S.J. Kwak, H.-K. Yang, S.C. Yang, K.S., Hwang, J.-Y. Nam and D. Kim “Manufacturing method for membrane integrated with deflector” Korean Patent 10-1445166, September 22, 2014.
7. Chang, I.S., J. An and D. Kim “Module system for microbial fuel cell” Korean Patent 10-1352551, January 10, 2014.
6. Chang, I.S., D. Kim and J. An “Module system for microbial fuel cell” US Patent 2012/0315506 A1, December 13, 2012.
5. Hur, H.-G., J. Kim, D. Kim and N.V. Myung “Gold binding peptides and shape- and size-tunable synthesis of gold nanostructures” US Patent 8,088,740 B2, January 3, 2012.
4. Park, S., W. Jo, I.S. Chang, D. Kim, J. Lim, Y.J. Oh and J.R. Park “Formation of zinc nanoparticles by Shewanella oneidensis MR-1” Korean Patent 10-1085104, November 14, 2011.
3. Chang, I.S., D. Kim, J. An, B.H. Kim and J.K. Jang “Microbial fuel cell structure having a plurality of unit cells consisting of sides of each pillar, and microbial fuel cell having the structure” Korean Patent 10-1024823, March 17, 2010.
2. Hur, H.-G., J. Kim, D. Kim and N.V. Myung “A method for synthesis of gold nanostructures using the dodecamer peptides Midas-1 to Midas-12” Korean Patent 10-0945433, February 25, 2010.
1. Hur, H.-G., J. Kim, D. Kim and N.V. Myung “A method for synthesis of gold nanostructures using the dodecamer peptides Midas-1 to Midas-12” Korean Patent 10-0945434, February 25, 2010.
updated: DECEMBER 2018